Looka (formerly Logojoy) is an AI-powered online logo design tool.
Instead of having a designer make a logo to your specifications, Looka uses artificial intelligence and complex algorithms to generate several logo designs based on your specifications.
The company’s website went live in November, 2016, and Their team are located in Toronto, ON, Canada.
The company was founded and is headed up by Dawson Whitfield. With experience in graphic design and freelance work, Dawson realized that most entrepreneurs just wanted simple, high-quality logos, at the lowest possible price.
This gave Dawson the idea to replace himself with artificial intelligence capable of designing high-quality logos. Dawson spent several months on the algorithm behind the logo generating software and starting the company.
The site launched in November 2016 on Product Hunt. Although they have only been in business for less than a month at the time of writing this Dawson says the response from customers, “has been overwhelmingly positive and we hope to establish ourselves as the go-to online application for logo design.”
Looka uses artificial intelligence instead of graphic designers. That allows the service to offer much lower price points and generate several logos in just minutes.
The company’s target customers are entrepreneurs, small business owners, and early-stage startups. Basically, anyone who doesn’t have the budget to work one-on-one with a graphic designer to design their logos and branding material.
How Looka Works
Looka has a well-designed interface to take you through a few quick steps from start to finish. These are:
- Choose Inspiration – You choose a few general logo types you like the look and style of. These form the base of the logos the AI will generate.
- Choose Color Scheme – Next you choose a block of colors to be used in your logo design.
- Company Name and Slogan – Add your company name and a slogan if you have one. This will be used as text on your design.
- Pick up to 3 Symbols – Based on keywords of your choice you can choose up to 3 different icons to be used on your logo from a library of over 500,000 unique designs.
Based on your choices in the 4 steps above you will be presented with a few logos. By selecting which logos you like the algorithm will continue to return more logos that meet your specifications until your focus down on the one logo you like best.
There are no graphic designers or assistants to talk to while going through the process. There is however customer support that will get back to you within 24 hours if you have any questions.
I went through the process myself to test it out, and after a little difficulty in creating my account (“Your name is too long or too short”; “Your password is too long or too short” — not helpful!), the app generated a few different options for me:
And a few more:
I think the ones with the headset and the pen (graphics I chose in the process) actually look pretty good. Some of the others don’t make much sense at all.
Plans and Pricing
It’s free to build unlimited logos, which is great because it means you can practice and browse plenty of logo ideas without committing. You only pay when you want to download the logo you have chosen, there are three different pricing plans.
- Basic – $20, you can download a low-resolution logo on a white background.
- Premium – $65, you can download a high-resolution logo, ready for use in print, on a transparent background, and with black and white versions.
- Enterprise – $165, you get all the same features as the Premium package and a one hour design session with one of their designers.
When it comes to graphic design for your business, you’ve got lots of options. Logo Garden operates under a similar model where you kind of do a do-it-yourself design and pay just to download the high resolution files.
|Minimum Cost||$5||$299||$399 per month||$20|
|Type of Service||A la carte design||Crowdsourced design||Unlimited design||AI logo design|
|Best for||Fast, cheap designs||Higher profile work||Ongoing design needs||Affordable DIY|
|Notes||100% money-back guarantee||14-day money back trial; 30% off first month w/ code VA30||Don't pay until you love your logo|
|Learn more||Learn More||Learn More||Learn More||Learn More|
Alternatively you have services like:
- Fiverr, where there are hundreds of logo designers promising logos starting at just $5
- Deluxe, where you’ll pay a little more to work with a dedicated designer and usually get several concepts
- 99designs, where you can “crowdsource” your logo design to several different designers and pick your favorite
Have you created and downloaded any logos from Looka (or Logojoy)? If so, please take a moment to leave a quick review to help others with their decision.